Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Blog Post 13

The assignment is to watch Michelle Obama's Speech on Fitness Training and Nutrition Tips and to write a quality blog post answering the questions numbered below:

1. Why do you think it's important for individuals to exercise and eat healthy?

2. What can we learn from Michelle Obama's speech?

3. Do you exercise daily?

4. What types of fruits and vegetables do you enjoy?

heart photo


My passion as an educator is to inspire and motivate my students to eat good nutritious foods and to exercise. As educators, we should promulgate to our students on ways to be healthier and live longer. In today's society, the obesity rates are astronomically high for kids and teens. As educators, our mission should be to discover inventive and creative techniques to assist in bringing those alarming numbers down. We can do this by educating our students on the benefits of eating fresh fruits and vegetables. Also, to encourage and empower our students to exercise for at least thirty minutes a day.

kids playing soccer photo


I learned a lot of valuable information from Michelle Obama's insightful speech about educating students about the benefits of eating healthy and exercising daily. I learned from Mrs. Obama that one and three American kids and teens are either overweight or obese. Medical professionals are seeing more and more kids and teens with high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and type two diabetes. I learned from Mrs. Obama that the government, along with her support started an initiative called "Let's Move" that encourages kids and teens to be physically active. Also, I learned from Mrs. Obama that we have to change the culture in America by advocating eating fresh fruits and vegetables. We also need to transform the mindset in our kids and teens from video games and television to playing outside. A word I learned from Mrs. Obama is moderation when eating. The over-consumption of food, especially late at night can lead to adding extra weight. Famous athletes and movie stars are promoting the "Let's Move" campaign to encourage students to be active and eat nutritious foods. Lastly, I learned as educators; we must set a good example for our students by eating nutritious foods and participating in physical activities at school, as well.

playing basketball photo


I have to be honest, my favorite time of the day is when I am exercising. I try to exercise at least six days a week. My exercise regiment includes running two miles, some light weight-training, and playing pickup basketball. I would encourage everyone to run at least a couple of times a week. Running is an activity that allows you to relieve stress in your life as well as connect with nature and the outdoors. If you are someone who cannot afford a gym membership there a number of physical activities you can perform at home to build muscle and burn fat. My passion is basketball so I love going up to the YMCA and playing a game of three-on-three. I encourage everyone to at least take a walk around the neighborhood or go to the park.

kids running photo


I was fortunate to grow up in a family that served fruits and vegetables. So, as a child, I was accustomed to nutritious foods, so I enjoy them even more today. My favorite vegetables are turnip greens, okra, and green peppers just to name a few. My favorite fruits are apples, bananas, and peaches just to name a few. I would encourage everyone to eat more fruits and vegetables because they will help you live a longer, healthier life.

fruits and vegetables photo

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed reading your blog post. I agree we should eat more nutritious food and exercise more. My parents are also all about eating healthy and exercising too so it has got me into it too. As educators we should encourage it. Great post.

    ReplyDelete